4:30 a.m.

So yesterday morning, I woke up at 4:30. It’s rare that I ever wake up that early, and believe me, I wish I could have slept longer. Sleep is high up on my list of priorities. After tossing and turning a bit, I realized it would be better to just let go and let God, so I got up and started the day.

In the early morning light, dawn was just beginning to gloriously burst into sunrise. There was a lovely breeze, so I quietly went around the house, opening windows to let in the fresh, cool air. I checked in on my sleeping children. Little angels they were, with their dreaming faces and soft breathing. I smoothed out their bunched up sheets, kissing them lightly on the forehead before I tiptoed out of their rooms.

I went to the kitchen and made a cup of green tea. I like to rotate through my teas, and this morning seemed like a good one for green. I carefully sipped on it, still burning my mouth, while I caught up on emails, paid a bill, and checked over my calendar for the month. It felt good to start my day so productively.

My dog needed to be let outside, so I took her into the backyard. It was soothing to feel the breeze and listen to the birds singing their cheerful, melodious songs. I quietly said some prayers, thanked God for the peaceful morning and other blessings He’s given me, and sent my whispered words out on the wind.

There are two dwarf nectarine trees in the backyard. The yellow nectarines aren’t ready quite yet, but the white nectarines are. That tree’s branches are bending from the weight of all of that stone fruit, so I set to work picking the ones that seemed most ripe and placing them in a small wicker basket. Some of those nectarines were taken to my work to be shared with my coworkers, and the rest are being enjoyed by my family.

Back inside, I decided that I should get a workout done while my kids were still asleep. I logged on to Facebook to catch my friend Kathy (of Kathy Steele Fitness) do her live video of mat Pilates. Thanks, lady! It felt good! Near the end, my little boy had woken up and was doing his best to do the workout, too.

Afterward, Logan went back to his room to play with his Legos and I cozied up on the couch with the last of my now-cold tea and the second book of my 10 Books of Summer Challenge. Click here if you want to view the post in which I wrote about the challenge and to see which book it is.

Not many pages later, the whole house was up and full of the familiar sounds of a new day. Seeing as my reading time and quiet morning had come to an end, I sat down at my computer to quickly type all of this up into a rough draft before I forgot about it. Shower, breakfast, get ready for the day, and just like that, 4:30 already seemed like a long time ago.

As always, thanks for stopping by. ❀

2 thoughts on “4:30 a.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s